Concern at closure of Ryehill Medical Practice



I am calling for answers from NHS Tayside and the Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership  about the future of General Practice provision in the West End and across Dundee. It has been reported that Ryehill Medical Practice will close at the end of June 2022.  I want to be sure that all patients will be transferred to a new GP Practice and that all care will continue at the appropriate level.  I want to know what actions were taken to try and prevent this closure.  I also wants to know what will become of the building at Ryehill.

I was shocked to read reports of the closure of Ryehill Medical Practice.  I have been contacted by constituents who are appalled at the news.
I want to know that every effort has been made to try and ensure the continuation of GP services at Ryehill.
The news of this closure is extremely serious.  There are 5,400 patients registered at this practice and they need to see absolutely no reduction in the services available to them.  I will be looking for a guarantee that everyone will be registered with a new GP and that all of their health needs will continue to be looked after.
I also want to know about the impact on other GP practices in Dundee of 5,400 patients having to be found a new GP.

I am looking for answers from NHS Tayside, the Dundee Health and Social Care Partnership and from the Scottish Government about this issue, people in the West End and beyond need to know that they have the GP service that they need.

The fundamental issue with regard to the future of Ryehill Medical Practice is that nobody is disadvantaged by these changes.  No patient at Ryehill should be see any difference in the care that they receive.  I want NHS Tayside to guarantee that noone will miss out due to this closure.
NHS Tayside needs to be open and transparent about the future of GP services in the West End of Dundee.  Patients whom I have spoken to are appalled at the news of the closure of the practice. I am looking for more information from them as a matter of urgency.'

Along with my friend and colleague Michael Marra MSP I have written to the Cabinet Secretary for Health looking for answers.  Michael Marra MSP said,  “Ryehill has been a fixture of the Dundee community for generations and thousands of people rely on the practice for their care. Those people have been thrown into limbo with this news and will have real concerns about where their medical care will now come from.

“We must not simply accept the closure of the surgery as a done deal. Changes to the management and structure may be inevitable but the people of Dundee must be given appropriate care.

“The problems in General Practice have been growing for years now and the Scottish Government’s failure to attract and keep GPs is reaching crisis point.”