Support for Pension Dignity at the University of Dundee


Today I was pleased to be given the chance to speak at the Unison Rally in support of the workers who are currently on strike at the University of Dundee.


I was proud to bring solidarity greetings from Dundee Labour Party, I was joined by my colleagues Mercedes Villalba MSP and Councillor Charlie Malone.  We brought solidarity greetings not because there is an election on but because we are the party of the trade unions, Labour was created by the trade union movement and we are proud to support workers in struggle whether it is Dundee University today or at NHS Tayside in the past or EIS and other union members protesting against faculties in Dundee schools.

 

I have joined Unison members of the picket line this morning as I have done with UCU and Unite members in the past.

 

The right to dignity and certainty in retirement is important and everyone deserves it.


A decent pension is not an added extra or some kind of bonus.  People have paid for it.  It is deferred income not an optional extra.

 

I was pleased last October when Dundee City Council agreed to a motion which I put forward on this issue that called on the University and the Scottish Government to find a just solution.

 

I have raised this issue with the university at every opportunity including at the open court meeting in January where we heard that Dundee University was doing well financially and was committed to its social purpose, cuts to the pensions of the poorest paid staff members might suggest otherwise.

 

Dundee University is an independent body which should make its own decisions and I call on them to work with Unison and the other trade unions to come to an agreed settlement of this dispute.

 

Dundee University is funded and regulated by the Scottish Government and I am calling on the Scottish Government to intervene and ensure that the much vaunted Fair Work principles are adhered to at Dundee University.  I have written to Nicola Sturgeon today calling on her to ensure dignity in retirement for everyone who works at the University of Dundee.

 

As a councillor in the West End and as a graduate of Dundee University I want the university to do well, I want it to be a good employer and a good neighbour.  Sadly I don’t think I can say that it is right now.


These proposals cut the pensions of those who are poorest paid at the University of Dundee; they disproportionately impact on female workers.  That’s a disgrace.

 

I am calling on the University of Dundee or the Scottish Government to ensure that all workers but especially the poorest paid have dignity in retirement..