Illegal Adverts


I am calling for action to be taken against illegal adverts which are often fly-posted or tied to railings of properties without the owners permission. I am currently complaining about an advert for Pizza Hut which is tied to railing at a pedestrian crossing on the Hawkhill near to the Westport. I had cause to complain about what I think was the same banner last year when it was on council railings at the Sinderins junction.


I frequently ask the council to remove adverts which are often placed on railings which the council own. I know that businesses are struggling just now but if every business just put up advertising banners in an unregulated manner the city would look terrible. Other businesses also lose out as they pay for advertising yet competitors merely tie a banner to a nearby railing and hope for the best. The City Council is moving towards a zero tolerance approach towards graffiti I think that a similar approach should be developed towards illegal adverts.



I am disappointed to say that the advert I am complaining about is for Pizza Hut and that I have had cause to complain about a similar banner last year. A large company with a commitment to corporate social responsibility like Pizza Hut should not be illegally displaying adverts. What would the West End look like if every restaurant displayed its adverts like this. This is unsightly and should be stopped.