Concern over reports of Covid-19 breaches at Dundee Pubs


I have written to the Dundee Licensing Board to ask them to look into media reports of Covid-19 breaches at a number of Licensed premises in the city of Dundee.  I am not a member of the Licensing Board, but I am concerned about seriousness of these allegations and I believe that the public of Dundee need to see that the allegations are being treated with the seriousness that they deserve.

Like many other people I read the allegations, in the Courier and Evening Telegraph, against Macmerry 300 Limited and Abandon Ship Limited with a great deal of concern.  I am aware that the companies concerned refute the allegations, but I also feel that these are serious enough to merit the Licensing Board looking at whether they have any means of intervening.
The hospitality sector has faced many trials and tribulations over the past two years due to Covid-19.  I want to be clear that I want to support an extensive hospitality sector in the city of Dundee.  I think that the council should be looking to do what it can to support the sector and ensure that there are pubs and restaurants still operating when, at last, the pandemic comes to an end.  It is also clear that the city centre of Dundee, like many others, faces real challenges in the future and the council must work with the sector to ensure that a viable hospitality sector emerges out of the pandemic.
However, the difficulties faced by the hospitality sector cannot be an excuse for bad behaviour.  The public need to know that licence holders are doing all that they can to limit the spread of Covid-19 in their premises.  In 2022 harassment of staff is not acceptable and employers have a duty of care to employees.  I am asking that Dundee Licensing Board have a look at this case and see if there are any actions which should take.