Scrutiny Committee


On Wednesday Dundee City Council's Scrutiny Committee took place.  There were a number of issues which I raised.


The Committee received a report on Local Government in Scotland: Overview 2021.  This report by Audit Scotland looked at the impact of the pandemic on local government in Scotland.  Officers and councillors from across all political parties highlighted the great work done by council workers in the face of the pandemic.


I made the point that local government workers went above and beyond the call of duty throughout the pandemic, proving that they are key workers.

I also made the point that politicians should remember this and make sure that local government workers are rewarded as key workers.

Clapping is all very well but we need to make it real through genuine rewards.


This report highlighted the work of North Ayrshire Council on Community Wealth Building.  I am  a long-term advocate of this approach.  It is perverse that as city Dundee gives contracts to companies which offshore their profits.  I think that the council should take the lead and ensure that the money which the council invests on behalf of the people of Dundee stays close to Dundee and provides jobs and wealth for local people.


I asked when we can expect Dundee to follow Scottish Labour and Co-operative -led North Ayrshire and bring forward a community wealth building policy.  I will be looking for Dundee to take up this approach soon.


I also reiterated my call for Dundee City Council to do all that it can to improve household recycling rates.  There are real difficulties in improving recycling rates in Dundee due to the urban nature of the city and the number of flats in the city.  


There was also a report which pointed to improvements in dealing with fuel poverty in Dundee.  This is welcome.  I asked for reassurance that a focus would continue on fuel poverty in the face of the current energy crisis which is leading to increased fuel bills. I am also concerned that people who have done the 'right thing' and shopped around and found cheaper suppliers might face problems caused by the energy firms going bust.