Disappointed car parking issue ruled out of order


On Monday evening Dundee City Council's Planning Committee considered a planning application from Barnett's Garage on Riverside Drive.  The application was for a new detached valet building where cars would be washed and cleaned.


Barnett's have been under new ownership for the last four years but there is a feeling amongst many local people that the site at Riverside is constantly being developed and expanded.  To be fair that probably does not reflect the activities of the current owners.  


Many local people including the West End Community Council objected to this application on the grounds that car parking spaces would be lost.  Whilst it is only 4 spaces overall that would be lost there were concerns about the business leading to parking in the surrounding area especially towards Riverside Approach and Magdalen Yard Road. Many people are concerned about road safety at Magdalen Green and the Roseangle Play Park and I share these concerns.


I put forward an amendment which would have addressed the concerns of local people whilst also allowing Barnett's to make the changes that they believe are required for their business.  I am very much in favour of supporting local jobs and in particular supporting improved conditions for workers as well as listening to local residents road safety concerns.


Sadly officers and the Convener of the Committee ruled my amendment out of order.  This was very disappointing because I was trying to find a compromise that would have dealt with local people's concerns and also helped a local business.


After my amendment was ruled out of order I felt that my concerns about road safety were not being dealt with and therefore I seconded Bailie Macpherson's amendment which would have refused planning permission on the grounds of loss of car parking.  Our proposal was defeated.


I still have concerns about car parking issues and road safety issues around Magdalen Green and Roseangle and I will continue to work with local residents to improve this.