Disappointed at rejection of 20 mph in Windsor Street

On Monday evening Dundee City Council refused to even allow a consultation on implementing a 20mph zone in Windsor Street.  Windsor Street is adjacent to the current 20mph in the Perth Road and its lanes.  Local residents have told me that they do not see the logic of  excluding Windsor Street from the 20mph zone.


I supported the motion put forward by my ward colleague Baillie Macpherson calling on the council to consult on a 20mph zone in Windsor Street.


I also raised my concerns that two years ago the council agreed to have an annual progress report on implementing 20mph zones across the city,  We were told that it was wrong to bring forward a request like the one for Windsor Street in isolation.  My point was that in the absence of the promised annual report that there was no other means of bringing forward concerns.


I was very disappointed that the council did not support plans to even consult on a 20mph zone for Windsor Street


A lot of barriers were put in the way of trying to improve road safety at Windsor Street.


I am clear that we need 20mph zones in residential areas to improve road safety and to encourage walking and cycling.



It was wrong that Dundee City Council did not even allow local people a say on whether they have a 20mph zone in their street.