Ryehill Police Station Saved for Now

Campaigning to a save Ryehill Police Station
with amongst others Jenny Marra MSP
I welcome the fact that Ryehill Police Station appears to have won a reprieve for now and will remain open.  Police Scotland have published their consultation on their Estate Change Project and Ryehill Police Office was excluded from the consultation.  I have also received a response from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice Michael Matheson MSP where he says that there are 'no immediate plans for that police station.'



This time last year I was running a petition against the proposed closure of Ryehill Police Station along with the local community and Jenny Marra MSP.  At that time Police Scotland were keen to close Ryehill Police Station.  They subsequently kicked that proposal into the long grass.  Therefore I was concerned to hear that Police Scotland were publishing a consultation on property closures.  I am glad that Ryehill Police Station has not been included in the current consultation.  I welcome the response which I have received from the Cabinet Secretary for Justice which does say that it is not part of the current consultation.  Michael Matheson's response is welcome but it is clear from it that there are no long-term guarantees for Ryehill Police Station.



I will be keeping a close eye on Police Scotland to ensure that Ryehill Police Station remains open. I would also like to see Police Scotland use the facility more.



As a local resident and a local councillor I am clear that people in the West End want to see Ryehill Police Station remain open.  Local people are looking for the reassurance of a public facing police presence in our community.  I will continue to campaign to protect services in my area and I will be watching to ensure that Ryehill Police Station remains open.