Invest in the Perth Road

Along with the Community Council and my council ward colleagues I am calling for investment to improve the shopping experience on the Perth Road.

As a local councillor and a local resident I know how important it is to maintain the Perth Road as a vibrant shopping district.  I think that branding for the area would be a good idea.  I also think that we should have a good look at street furniture and the state of the pavements.  It would be good to see if there were any areas on the Perth Road which would lend themselves to being a new area for seating or public art.

Car parking is an issue that has been raised with me time after time.  I want the council to look at what it can do to ensure a regular turnover of car parking in the shopping area.  I also want to see what can be done to make the area more attractive for cyclists and walkers.

Those of us who live in the West End are lucky to have access to the wide variety of shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs which are found on the Perth Road.  These are also good for the whole city. 

I am concerned that regular roadworks over the last few years have had a detrimental impact on the shopping area.  This is why I have been calling for much better co-ordination of roadworks.  We need to do what we can to protect the local shopping area.

I want to see action from the council, before too long to deliver on some of the priorities which have been agreed on.  I want to hear from local traders and from local residents about their priorities for the Perth Road.  I want to work with the West End Community Council to ensure that we are doing all that we can to promote the Perth Road.