Farmhouse Breakfast at Blackness Primary School

Speaking to some of the young people at Blackness Primary
As an active co-operator I am proud to be the Vice-Chair of Scotmid Co-operative's North Regional Committee.  As part of that role I was pleased to get along to Blackness Primary School in the West End today to help the Royal Highland Education Trust (RHET) deliver their  'Shake-up your Wake-Up' Farmhouse Breakfast Week event.

Today Primary 6 had the chance to hear about where the food they eat really comes from, that is not the supermarket or even the local Scotmid but from farms.  The young people also had the chance to try some excellent local Scottish produce.  They also learnt about the idea of food miles, and discussed how it was a good idea that these were kept to a minimum.  I also had the chance to see if my waiting skills, learned whilst a student, had left me.  I really enjoyed myself and it was great to see young people try things that they hadn't tried before like porridge or rhubarb yoghurt.

This was an excellent event - well done to the RHET and their sponsors including Scotmid.  I think linking our farms and our agricultural and food businesses with consumers is important.  As regular readers will know I am a champion of Fairtrade and I think that this is linked because I think that we should all have an interest in where our food comes from whether that is oats and berries grown in Angus or Perthshire or oranges and bananas grown in Africa or South America.

It was also great to visit Blackness Primary School today and see the great work which is going on there and to meet the very well-behaved Primary 6 class.