Richard Sloan RIP

I was saddened to hear of the death of my friend and comrade Richard Sloan.  Many people like me will know Richard through politics but at this sad time it is important to remember Richard as a husband and father and friend to many and to pass on our condolences to Mairi and the family he leaves behind.

When i first met Dick Sloan he was serving as one of my predecessors as a District Councillor for parts of what is now my ward. Dick stood down from the council at local government reorganisation.

Dick and I worked hard in the run-up to the 1997 General Election to assist in the successful election campaign for Anne Begg in Aberdeen South.

I have enjoyed campaigning with Dick over many campaigns. I will miss his enthusiasm and his irreverent sense of humour.

I was speaking to Dick only on Wednesday of last week and we were discussing next year's council elections. It is an appalling thought that when that election comes round Dick won't be there to help.

Dick had recently been helping with our campaign to keep Ryehill Police Station open.

I shall miss his commitment, his intelligence and his sense of fun

My thoughts are with his family at this very sad time. Rest in Peace Dick.
Dick Sloan and me collecting signatures for the petition to Save Ryehill Police Station
.