Fuel Poverty in Dundee - community owned renewable eneregy - a solution?

http://www.solarcitiesscotland.org.uk/
I was pleased to get the chance to attend a seminar at Dundee University where Helen Grayshan from Solar Cities Scotland spoke on the topic of Fuel Poverty in Dundee - Community Owned Renewable Energy -  A solution?

There are high levels of fuel poverty in Dundee for a variety of reasons.  The reasons for fuel poverty include our relatively cold climate, the high proportion of older houses and flats in Dundee and the relative poverty experienced by a number of people in Dundee.

You can read the main points which Helen made here.

I welcome this contribution to the debate and I think that it is something that Dundee City Council should look to support.  I am particularly attracted to the idea that the people of Dundee could set up and run an energy co-operative and take control of their own energy supply.  I also think that the idea of finding ways to utilise derelict urban sites for solar panels is one that should be followed up.  I know that new council buildings such as the new Olympia do have solar panels on the roof but I think we should look for ways to maximise this across the city and across the public sector.  If by doing this we also contribute to helping deal with wider issues around fuel poverty then that is also good.

I will certainly be seeing what Dundee City Council can do to allow these initial ideas to go forward.  I know that as part of their move towards being a Co-operative Capital Edinburgh City Council are looking at a similar idea.