West End Community Council

http://www.dundeewecc.com/
Tonight I attended the September meeting of the West End Community Council. The main item discussed was about HMOs in the West End after recent publicity about problems.  There was a good discussion about this and it was good to listen to the views of local people.  As a local resident I know about some of the issues which HMOs bring.  I think that there is a need to look at the situation.  I am clear that we need a balance in the West End so that it is not HMOs everywhere.  I know that some people are anxious when they hear about HMOs in their area.  I would say that I understand that anxiety but would also say that HMOs bring improved standards in theory at least.  I would argue that we should tighten up the rules for privately-rented flats currently excluded from the HMO regulations.  Whilst, problem tenants are not all students I do think that Dundee's universities should have a look at how they can help the communities in the West End and elsewhere by looking at how they can encourage, cajole or even make their students behave well in their flats.

I am always happy to deal with any issues which people might have because of problem tenants and I also want to hear the views of people in the West End about privately rented houses.  Are there problems?  What could be done to deal with t.hose problems?  Please get in touch with me if you have any views

It is always good to listen to the concerns of the local community and the Community Council gives that opportunity.