Harris Academy

At Monday evening's Education Committee I was pleased to see a report which outlined some progress towards actually building the new Harris Academy.  I want to see this happen sooner rather than later.

At the meeting I was concerned to hear concerns expressed by the EIS representative on the Education Committee Mr Arthur Forrest about health and safety issues at the Rockwell site where Harris Academy is temporarily based.


I was very concerned to hear what the EIS representative Mr Forrest said about Harris Academy.  I have seen the work which went on to try and get the Rockwell site ready for Harris moving in, and there were always going to be teething difficulties.  My main concern though is that for the next three years while Harris Academy is at Rockwell that everything is done to make sure that the young people have the best educational experience possible, this cannot be done at the expense of health and safety.  The concerns raised by the EIS need to examined in detail and remedial action taken where necessary.  I have asked that the Director of Education keep me updated on progress with this important matter.  I hope for a swift and amicable resolution to this.