Dundee wins Library of the Year


I welcome the news that Dundee has won the Library of the Year award, along with Devon, at the Bookseller Industry Awards.  I am a Trustee of Leisure and Culture Dundee, the organisation which operates Dundee's public libraries.
 
I am delighted that Dundee has won this award.  This is well-deserved recognition of the work of the staff in Dundee's Libraries.  We are fortunate in Dundee that we have a network of libraries across the city which serve the needs of the people of Dundee.  I am glad to see improvements taking place, such as the installation of a lift at Blackness Library in my ward.  Dundee's libraries were commended at the award ceremony for their 'impressive digital participation programme.'  Dundee's libraries have demonstrated that reports of the demise of libraries in the electronic age are overstated.  They have also shown that libraries need to be looking at the changing needs of library users.
 
 
I would just like to offer my congratulations to everyone connected with Dundee's Library Service - well done.