Development Management Committee - New Harris Academy Approved

A view of the planned new Harris Academy from the south
Monday evening saw the May meeting of the Development Management Committee.  There were a number of planning applications including for the new Harris Academy and for housing on the site of the former Parkview School.

I was pleased to see that the plans for the new Harris Academy were approved.  I sought a reassurance that items such as the clock tower and other items in the entrance portico will be reused in the new school.  I know that a lot of local people have called for this.  I was pleased to be told that this would happen.

I welcome the granting of planning permission for the new Harris Academy.  This is good news for school and for the West End and beyond.  I hope to see work starting in the summer.  I hope that this will bring jobs for local people.  I want to see this new school in the West End built on time and on budget.  I look forward to working with the school community, the local community and the City Council to bring about the best possible school for the young people of the West End.

I voted against the plans for houses on the former Parkview School site on Blackness Road.  I thought that the proposals had some merit however I felt that there were issues about overshadowing of neighbouring properties.  I also worried about the number of houses proposed for the site.  The vote on the proposals finished 14-14 and the Convener used his casting vote to approve the proposals.