Treat the Saltire with Respect


The sorry state of the Saltire flying over the Steeple last week
Firstly, I would like to say that there are much bigger issues facing the Dundee City Council than flags but if we are going to fly flags then we need to get it right and show the appropriate respect.

If we are going to fly our National flag from council owned buildings then we need to ensure that the flag is treated with due respect. I understand that in an ideal world flags should be raised and lowered every day and allowed to dry out for example, if we are unable to do that then perhaps we should consider whether it is appropriate to continue flying that flag. We should never allow the flag to get ripped. Flying a tattered flag shows no respect. It is important that the council respects the symbols of our nation and our state and if they are unable to do so then they should seriously consider whether it is appropriate to continue to show such a lack of respect.


I think that it is good to see the Saltire flying proudly over our city and I would like to see this continue. Seeing a tattered and ripped flag flying less than proudly over our city is something I would like to see stop.
 
I am glad that since I have raised this issue the council has said that the Saltire will be replaced and I hope that it will now be treated with respect.