Remploy

After my calls last week for the setting up of an action group on Remploy I was pleased that this group met for the first time on Monday of this week.  It was good to get a cross-party group of politicians from Westminster, Holyrood and the City Council around the table with council officers and trade unions.  It is clear that it may well be very difficult to keep the factory open but there was a consensus that more should be done to help the factory and support the workforce.  There have been a few developments this week with a statement in the Scottish Parliament from the Scottish Government offering support.  The Welsh Government has offered more support and I think that the Scottish Government should take a look at what the Welsh Government is doing.  My colleague Jenny Marra has also tabled a motion in the Scottish Parliament about Dundee Remploy.

There will be more meetings in the new year but I think that it is important to remember those people who will now spend Christmas with the shadow of redundancy hanging over their heads.  I hope that we can find a solution to this issue and that jobs can be saved but it will be difficult.