Development Management Committee

An artists impression of the new entrance to Duncan of Jordanstone
Monday evening saw the last meeting of the council's Development Management Committee.  There were a few interesting applications.  I seconded a motion against an advertising sign outside the newly refurbished entrance to the Matthew Building at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design.  I thought that the advertising sign would have taken away from the new entrance.  I think that  the council should give serious consideration as to how it deals with street furniture and clutter.  The sign that was proposed is fine as far as it goes but the question was is it appropriate for the setting.  On its own this sign was not the worst thing in the world but we should be thinking about the overall position of street furniture.

The recent renovation at Duncan of Jordanstone's entrance has been a major improvement.  Recently I took part in a walkabout with traders from the Perth Road, which did not go as far along the Perth Road as the art college. that walkabout brought home to me that there is a lack of design and co-ordination for street furniture.  I think that this proposal will take away from the new entrance to Duncan of Jordanstone and will add to the clutter in that area.  I was pleased that my colleagues supported me and that the application was rejected.