Michael Marra RIP

I was very sad to hear of the death of the man described by today's Courier as 'Dundee's Bard' Michael Marra.  I would like to offer my sympathy to Michael Marra's family and friends.  His death may well be a loss to the artistic community but it is a great loss to his family at a young age.

Michael Marra wrote many excellent songs which spoke eloquently of Dundee and of his life experience.  I am particularly fond of his work at Dundee Rep on the Mill Lavvies.  The song above comes from that play and is one which I particularly like.  I also liked the way which many of the locations of songs he wrote were in the West End of Dundee.  As an adopted Dundonian I hope that I am also able to draw attention to his song 'Mother Glasgow' which speaks about the city I was born in.

I was thinking that there should be a lasting tribute to Michael Marra in the city that he wrote so movingly about, and I was thinking about what it could be.  I was therefore pleased to see that his family are setting up a trust fund to help bring the 'El Sistema' music project to Dundee.  El Sistema is an intensive music tuition programme for children and young people I would certainly like to see it in Dundee and if it did come about I am sure that it would be a fitting tribute to a man who brought great joy with his music and who also made people think with his writing.

I hope that Michael Marra's contribution to the culture of Dundee, of Scotland, and indeed the world will be marked in a fitting manner and that in so doing some comfort will be given to his family.  R.I.P.