Council Should Make Voice Heard in Support of Games Industry

I'm calling for Dundee City Council to make its voice heard in support of the Games Industry in the city.  The UK Government's Department of Culture, Media and Sport has published a consultation on the implementation of tax relief for the Games Industry.  I think that Dundee City Council should respond to the consultation making the case for the industry in Dundee.


 I was very disappointed when the Tory-led Coalition Government scrapped Labour's plans to implement tax relief for the Games Industry but I was pleased when they saw the error of their ways in the 2012 Budget and decided to implement tax relief for the Games Industry. This change of policy is, in part, due to the campaign led by my colleague Jim McGovern MP who has championed the industry in Dundee.


Whilst the consultation published by DCMS is very technical in nature I think that the City Council should be very strongly supporting the implementation of tax relief for this industry. The council should be making sure that what is proposed is in the best interests of the Games Industry in our city. Everyone with Dundee's best interests at heart should be looking at ways in which we can protect the Games Industry in Dundee and looking for ways in which we can enhance the Games Industry in the city. I hope the council will send out a strong message making clear that we support this industry in Dundee.


I have written to the council's Chief Executive asking that the council responds to this consultation and I am looking forward to receiving his response.