Kemback Street

At the Social Work and Health Committee last night my colleague Kevin Keenan tried to raise the issue of the Kemback Street Day Centre.  The SNP Administration chose to hide behind the standing orders to say that the item cannot be discussed for another month due to the six month rule which the council applies.  This is despite the fact that this rule has been relaxed by the Administration on several occasions already in this term of the council.

I was glad to read reports that members of the Kemback Street Action Group are to have a meeting with the Director of Social Work. It is good to see that their campaign is paying off and that at long last they are being listened to.  I hope that this meeting takes place sooner rather than later.

Despite the fact that the issue should have been discussed last night I look forward to receiving the report on this issue at the next meeting of the Social Work and Health Committee.  I was glad that the Convener was able to re-assure me that this report will issued timeously and certainly in line with the council's standing orders.  I am looking forward to receiving this report timeously and at the latest on the 19th October 2012. I can only hope that it is clearly written and has taken on board the concerns that the service users and their carers have been so eloquently expressing.  I have made clear my view that the council should listen to the concerns that have been raised and I look forward to the next meeting of the Social Work and Health Committee when I hope these will be adequately addressed.