Chief Officer Appointed to new Scottish Fire and Rescue Service

As a member of the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board  I would like to offer my congratulations to the Acting Chief Fire Officer of Tayside, Alasdair Hay, who has been appointed the first Chief Officer of the new single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

I would like to congratulate Alasdair Hay on his appointment. I know Alasdair Hay from Tayside Fire and Rescue Service and I have been impressed by his professionalism and commitment to serving the people of Tayside. From his experience with Tayside Fire and Rescue I know that he knows how important it is to deliver good services to local communities. I am sure that Alasdair Hay will ensure that this is a truly Scottish service and that a professional fire and rescue service is provided throughout the length and breadth of Scotland.

In his new role Mr Hay will face a number of challenges and I would like to wish him all the very best in his new role.

My colleague Jenny Marra MSP has responded to this appointment and you can see here statement below:
Responding to the announcement of Alasdair Hay as the first Chief Officer of the single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Scottish Labour's Jenny Marra MSP, said:

"I would like to congratulate Alasdair Hay on his appointment as the first Chief Officer of a single Scottish Fire and Rescue Service.

"There are challenges ahead; to ensure that the new single service is ready in time for its launch and to ensure that Scots continue to receive an ever-improving service once the force is up and running next year.

"I know Mr Hay from Tayside Fire and Rescue and know him to be someone who is trusted, respected and gets the best out of his staff.

"I look forward to meeting with Mr Hay in due course to hear how the preparatory work is going and to understand what he sees as the biggest challenges facing the single service."