Police & Fire Headquarters Move Welcome - Could have been Dundee

As Dundee Labour spokesperson on Tayside Fire & Rescue Board I welcome the news that the interim headquarters of the National Fire and Rescue Service will be at Perth Community Fire Station. I have campaigned for the Fire Service Headquarters to be in Dundee.


I have been campaigning for the National Fire and Rescue Service Headquarters to be based in Dundee. I am pleased that the headquarters will be outside of the central belt. I am also pleased that the headquarters will be in the Tayside area. However, I am disappointed that Dundee is missing out. I think that Dundee had a strong case to make. Dundee has a headquarters building on Blackness Road and I think that this could have served as the national headquarters.



It is important in terms of the national Fire and Rescue Service and the national Police Service that some form of effective local accountability is maintained. Basing the Fire and Rescue Service outside of the central belt is welcome but it does not follow that local accountability will happen as a result of this.



I will continue to work with my Dundee Labour colleagues for Dundee to get a fair share of Scottish Government jobs. Bringing jobs to Dundee and maintaining jobs in Dundee is our top priority.