Belated Happy New Year!

Belatedly I would like to wish all my constituents a very happy new year and hope that it brings everyone peace, health and happiness.

2012 is an important year. I am looking forward to the Olympics and hope that the GB team does well. I am looking forward to attending Olympic football at Hampden. It is great to see that this great international event being brought to Scotland.

In 2012 Scotland is moving towards being a Fairtrade Nation and I certainly support that important goal. We should be concerned about the way people who produce goods or services are treated and that is why fairtrade is important.

The UN has declared 2012 as the International Year of Co-operatives. I think that co-operatives can make a real difference to the economy. The economic problems which we are facing just now are in large part due to the reckless behaviour of companies who recklessly sought profit for shareholders without too much thought for the consequences. I think that co-operartive options should be looked at across all policy areas.