St John's High School Bus

I am concerned about changes to the bus service which serves St John's High School. I've been approached by a number of West End residents whose children have had had difficulty in getting to school since the new term started.



Parents who have spoken to me are worried that it now takes over an hour to get to St John's High School from the West End by public transport. I had been reassured by the Education department, over the summer, that this would not be a problem but have asked them to make sure that this is the case. I have also approached National Express Dundee and asked them to look again at the services to St John's and indeed the services between the City Centre, the West End, Lochee and Dryburgh. I think that the loss of links here will have a detrimental impact on the West End and Lochee.

I think that a journey time of over an hour, which is what many parents are saying, is unacceptable. If parents in the West End want to send their children to St John's High School, I don't think that we should be putting barriers in their way.

I think in general that there is an issue about public transport helping to maintain the viability of shopping areas like the Perth Road and Lochee High Street. These areas are under pressure from supermarkets and from the economic situation. The City Council Administration has changed bus routes which has encouraged the bus companies to also cut routes and this has meant that for people in the West End especially the elderly population in the Logie estate, and people in the Pentland, Tullideph and Ancrum areas a poor service exists between them and either the Perth Road or Lochee High Street.

I would urge anyone with concerns about bus services to get in touch with me.