Energy Prices

'How on earth can an energy company that makes £1.2 billion profit justify a 19% price hike?' This is question asked by the Evening Telegraph the other day in response to the price hike from Scottish Power. I think that the answer is that it can't. At a time of rising prices across a whole range of items this is particularly difficult for people. I will be hugely surprised if similar price hikes don't happen from other energy companies. I am concerned that such price rises add to the numbers who live in fuel poverty (that is spending 10% or more of income on fuel bills.) In Dundee I have been impressed by the work of the council's Dundee Energy Efficiency Advice Project, this organisation can offer help and advice to people in the city. I will be seeking a briefing about how the council is battling fuel poverty.

The Evening Telegraph concluded that 'Gas and electricity are essentials and yet consumers are getting an increasingly raw deal when the bills come through the door. That needs to be addressed - and quickly.' I agree with their take on this I think that being able to heat and power the home to an adequate level at a price that is affordable, I think that energy companies need to think about their corporate social responsibility when it comes to setting fuel bills.