Concern over cuts at Dundee College

I have grave concerns about cuts at Dundee College. I have been approached by a number of constituents, both staff and students, who were concerned about the impact that this will have on them. On Thursday I met with Dundee College Principal, Christina Potter. I have also been in contact with the trade unions at the College to hear their views.



I had a very constructive meeting with the Principal of Dundee College, Christina Potter. I have every sympathy for her position she has to deal with cuts which have been imposed on the College by the Scottish Government.



I sought reassurance that students already studying courses would not be disadvantaged. I was happy with the response I got which was that every effort is being made to ensure that students are appropriately placed. Obviously, the devil is in the detail here and it is too early to say whether all students will be happy with the outcome of these proposals.



I want staff changes to be carried out without compulsory redundancies. These are difficult times for many staff at the College and I hope that they will be treated fairly. The Principal highlighted to me that there is a genuine consultation process underway and I know that the trade unions and the workforce will play their part in process.



I think that the Further Education sector can often be undervalued. I believe that Dundee College will play a key role in the economic recovery in Dundee and beyond. I know that Labour would have colleges playing a key role in the Scottish Future Jobs Fund and in the apprenticeship guarantee.



It is disappointing that funding changes imposed by the Scottish Government will have a detrimental impact on the work of Dundee College. I know that Dundee College does a great job for students in Dundee and makes a major contribution to the economic life of the city and to educational attainment in the city.