Support for Roads Review

Today I have responded to the publication by Audit Scotland of a report entitled Maintaining Scotland's Roads. I'm backing calls for a review of how Scotland's roads are managed and maintained. I welcome the fact that the model of Tayside Contracts implemented by among others previous Labour Administrations on Dundee City Council was commended as a way forward for the rest of Scotland.

I am getting more and more people speaking to me about the state of the roads. It is clear to me that the recent bad weather has only made the situation worse. I am pleased that Audit Scotland see the work done by and model used by Tayside Contracts as one which is worth replicating. I think that there is a need for a review of how roads are managed and maintained. I will be seeking a briefing from council officers about their views of this report.

Hard-pressed council tax payers are paying more and more for the upkeep of their vehicles and then finding that these costs are added to by problems caused by the poor state of the roads. People in Dundee will be surprised to find out that the council is spending money on resurfacing one of its own yards rather than spending the money on our streets.

Clearly there is not an unlimited supply of funding for road repairs, or for anything else, but we should consider whether we can deliver these services in a better manner.