Love Dundee's Libraries


As Labour's Leisure, Arts and Communities spokesperson on Dundee City Council I have called for support for Dundee's libraries. I've signed the petition entitled 'Love Scottish Libraries' which is organised by CILIPS (Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals in Scotland) to show how important libraries are to the people of Scotland.

I regularly use public libraries, I have a weekly surgery in Blackness Library. I know that the people of Dundee love their libraries. The Central Library regularly comes out as Scotland's busiest library. I did most of the research for my PhD in the Local History Centre in the the Central Library. I was delighted (in March 2009) to donate a copy of a book which I written a chapter in to the local studies library.

The City Council's Administration recently voted through proposals to put Dundee's libraries into a charitable trust. As with many things the devil is in the detail with these proposals, I will be keeping a close eye on the proposals. Dundee's excellent network of community libraries must be maintained, investment in stock must continue and access must be maintained. The excellent work by the staff in Dundee's libraries must be encouraged and maintained after these proposals come into effect.

If you love your local library then I suggest that you sign the petition to show that you do.