Biomass Plant

Monday evening saw a marathon meeting of the City Council's Policy and Resources Committee which focused mostly on the proposals for a Biomass plant on the waterfront, the extensive report presented to us can be found here. The City Chambers were packed with members of the public who were interested in this decision. Like many other councillors I was surprised that this was not debated at the council's Development Management Committee which is quasi-judicial in nature and non-political. It is passing strange that we were told to treat it as if it was quasi-judicial but then when it came to the crunch it was made clear to us that this was not actually the case. I am still left pondering why this was the case.

A number of delegations were heard mostly against but there was also one in favour. All delegations spoke eloquently and made their points well. On the whole I thought that the case for the biomass plant had not been made, however I was also clear that Monday's committee was not an entirely appropriate forum for trying to answer the questions and concerns raised on both sides. This made it clear to me that a public inquiry was probably the best outcome for everyone concerned. When it came to motions being put forward it is interesting to note that there was scope for agreement amongst the Labour, Liberal Democrat, and Conservative groups and the elected independent member. It was disappointing that the Administration put forward a motion which, in effect, kicked the decision into the long-grass. I would also point out to the Lord Provost who said that he would vote in support of the Administration's proposals but that he was concerned not to have seen an indication of what the plant might look like that there is a picture on page 52 of the report which does show what it might look like.

I voted to object to the proposal. The basis of my vote was that I have great concerns about the emissions that might come from this plant and the impact that this might have on the health of the people of Dundee. This was my prime concern on this issue. I do also have concerns about the physical impact on the waterfront of this plant and do wonder how appropriate it is to be campaigning to bring the iconic V & A to Dundee and at the same time possibly allowing a large energy plant not too far away from the V & A.

The cross-party motion was defeated by the Administration's motion which means that the council is looking for further detail. I remain convinced that a public inquiry would be the best outcome now.

I will always take issues on the environment very seriously. I am a member of the Labour Party's environmental campaigning organisation SERA and believe that taking an interest in the environment is important.