Promoting Dundee as a shopping destination

I'm seeking a briefing from officers in charge of Economic Development in the council's City Development Department about what the city council does to promote the city as a shopping destination. I am interested in this after the council took the decision on the casting vote of the Convener to increase on-street car parking charges. I have been approached by a number of business people in the West End who are concerned that increased car parking charges will have a detrimental impact on their business.



I am seeking a meeting to look at the ways in which the city is promoted. I am particularly keen to find out how areas such as South Tay Street and the West Port are promoted. The UK Government's decision to increase VAT caused an increase in the cost of off-street car parking. I was not convinced that this should also mean an increase in the cost of on-street car parking which are VAT exempt and that is why I voted against the increase. Since the decision was made I have been approached by a number of businesses in the West End who are concerned that this will have a detrimental impact on their trade. Some are already feeling that times are tough as a result of the economic situation and the recent poor weather has not helped. I am keen that the council does all it can to help the economic development of the city and I want to hear what officers of the council are already doing and look at ways in which further assistance can be given.