V & A at Dundee design chosen


The winning design for the V & A at Dundee was announced today. The winner is Kengo Kuma. There are a couple of pictures here of the design. I think that this is an exciting design and I am looking forward to the project going forward from here.
I particularly like the fact that this design gives prominence to RRS Discovery. It is important that the City Council and the other partners now work hard to secure the funding for this important project.
I have said it before but it is worth saying again, V & A at Dundee is crucial to the future of our city. V & A at Dundee will put Dundee on the map as a major centre for design and for culture. It will prvide jobs for the city and will be a boost to the image of the city.
My colleague Pauline McNeill MSP Labour's culture spokesperson in the Scottish Parliament has also welcomed the design, she said:
“All the designs offered something truly unique, but I am particularly delighted that Kengo Kuma’s stunning vision for the V&A Museum has been chosen as the winner.

“This venture promises to transform the Dundee waterfront and I am confident it will become a mecca for the Arts sector in Scotland.

“I have made my support for this project clear and I will continue to argue strongly for government support for the V&A Museum.

“The Arts sector is critical to create the economic growth in Scotland and this kind of project is what the country needs to help lift us out of recession.”

I am committed to being a champion for the V & A at Dundee and playing my part in delivering this important project for our city.