Shocked at threat to Flower and Food Festival


As Labour's Leisure, Arts and Communities spokesperson on Dundee City Council I am shocked at a threat to the Dundee Flower and Food Festival. I attended the festival today and was very impressed with the show. I recognise that these are difficult economic times but my Labour colleagues and I will do all we can to work with other councillors to ensure the continuation of this popular event.


This afternoon I was at the Dundee Flower and Food Festival in Camperdown Park, it was a lovely day and everyone I spoke to was having an excellent time. There was a large crowd there. I was shocked when I picked up my copy of the Evening Telegraph to read that the future of the festival is under threat. I know that these are difficult financial times and that the City Council Administration intend to bring forward cuts to important services like education and social work and it might be hard to justify expenditure on the Flower and Food Festival. However, I think that we need to consider not just the financial costs of the event. The festival raises Dundee's profile and brings visitors into our city; it is also greatly enjoyed by Dundonians and visitors to the city. Everyone involved in making the festival happen deserves our thanks and it is a shame that their hard work this year has been rewarded with this uncertainty. On behalf of myself and my Labour Group colleagues I pledge that we will work with the Administration and anyone else to ensure that this successful and enjoyable event continues in years to come.'



I hope that the weather stays sunny over the weekend and that the crowds turn up to support the event. The Festival is a great day out and I would urge people to pay a visit on Saturday or Sunday - there is something for everyone.


For details of the festival this year click here.