McTaggart Centre's Future should be clarified

As Labour's Leisure, Arts and Communities spokesperson on Dundee City Council, today I called for the future of the Dick McTaggart Centre to be clarified. It emerged that the centre had been closed last week. I have sought a briefing from Dundee City Council officers regarding the future of the centre and the future provision of roller hockey facilities.

I was surprised to hear that the McTaggart Centre had been closed. I think that it is important that the future of the centre is clarified sooner rather than later. I know that roller hockey players feel that they have been let down as they have nowhere now to practice their sport. It is important that council officers try their best to find a location for roller hockey.

I know from speaking to local councillor Kevin Keenan that the Strathmartine ward has many sporting facilities but I think that we should look to build on this. It would be a sad day if the McTaggart Centre closed.

It is also important for the city of Dundee to honour Dick McTaggart. McTaggart was a great Olympian and I think that his contribution to sport in Dundee and Scotland should continue to be marked.