Dundee City Council Meetings 13 September 2010

On Monday evening there was a meeting of the City Council and a number of its committees. At the City Council I was pleased that my friend and colleague Councillor Mohammed Asif was appointed to serve on the Tayside Police board.

I spoke on a number of issues at the Leisure, Arts and Communities Committee. I welcomed the report of the Community Safety Partnership. This partnership is doing a lot of good work, it is important that community safety is given a priority.

The Conservative Group moved against the funding of a scoping exercise for youth work with black and minority ethnic groups. I actually seconded the Convener, the SNP's Bob Duncan in approving this report. This work is to be carried out by the Yusef Youth Initiative, I have seen their work and I think it should be encouraged. We need to ensure that the council promotes equality and that the services provided by the council are appropriate for all the young people in the city. I want to promote equality. I was happy to put the interests of the city before my political party allegiance. I thought that what the Administration was doing in this instance was correct and therefore I thought it was important to support him. It would be good if such cross-party co-operation was more widespread in the council chamber.

I was also pleased to support a report on the legacy of the Olympic and Commonwealth Games in Dundee. I hope that Dundee athletes will take part in both events and I hope that the games will encourage people to take an active part in sport. I also hope that there will visitors to the city as a result of this policy.

At the Policy and Resources Committee I was worried that the Administration was unconcerned about overspends in this year's budget. Given that there are going to massive pressures on the budget in the future it is important to stick to the budget when it has been agreed.

I was also appalled that the Administration bulldozed changes to the council's Standing Orders in order to stifle debate. It is unfortunate that Administration does not take openness and transparency seriously.