Harris Academy


Monday evening's Education Committee heard an update on the refurbishment of Harris Academy. As a local councillor I want to deliver an improved building for Harris Academy as quickly as possible. Like my colleague Councillor Bidwell I am happy to work with the Administration to ensure that this happens sooner rather than later. A number of people have raised their concerns about a start date of 2013 with me. At first I was under the impression that this was a typographical error.

The Harris Parent Council recently visited the Rockwell site to look at the accommodation they expected to use from August 2011. This council has recently agreed significant investment in the Rockwell site which was in the expectation that Harris Academy would be located there. This begs the question in these tough financial times are we wise to invest in Rockwell at this moment.

Harris Academy needs a new building; I want to help the Administration deliver a new building for Harris Academy. I think that the timescales should be quicker than this and I would be happy to help the Administration make that happen.