Dundee City Council Meeting 11 January 2010

The first meeting of the City Council and its committees took place on Monday night. To read the agendas for the meetings please click here.

A number of issues are worth commenting upon:

At the Education Committee there was a report about 'Parking and Dropping off at Schools' I welcomed this report which builds on a pilot scheme which was held at Park Place Primary and Eastern Primary. Safety around our schools is important. I welcome these proposals. Clearly though everyone has a duty to behave responsibly near schools. To park in designated areas and to try and stay safe. I will asking what impact these proposals will have on the future design of primary schools?

At the City Development Committee there was a discussion about Residents Parking Schemes, one of the schemes concerns the area around Perth Road, Hawkhill and Blackness Road. As a councillor in the West End, and indeed as a local resident I am aware of the parking problems which affect the area. Over a number of years constituents have been asking for something to be done about it.

These proposals represent something being done about it. I would draw attention to the report where it does stress that there appears to be significant resistance to a price of around £77 per year. I wondered if it was prudent to progress with this scheme on this basis.

I would stress though that local people should take part in the consultation and make their views known. I have sought an assurance that this will be as extensive a consultation as is possible? I hope that every effort will be made to ensure that all local residents in the effected areas get a chance to have their say?

At the Leisure, Arts and Communities Committee there was a report on enhancement of Myrekirk Park, I welcomed this report it is important that the Council is a listening council and it is good that these proposals are largely due to the efforts of local people. Our parks are a great asset for the city and it is important that we give local people a sense of ownership over the parks. The council is after all merely the custodian of these spaces for the people of Dundee.

At the Policy and Resources committee along with my colleagues I raised my concerns about a range of cuts in the Fairer Scotland Fund.

It appears to me that these proposals had not been shared with the council departments which will have to pick up the pieces? Our briefings collectively suggest that they have not.

I am not convinced that these are real savings, I think it is the case that the Administration made cuts tonight which might mean that statutory services have to make up shortfalls or become involved much quicker, or become involved at all; and this is much more expensive?

I asked specifically about the Urban Rangers Service. I asked whether it is the case that these workers fulfil some of the Council's commitments to funders who paid for the refurbishment of Baxter Park? I was told that there was some dubiety about whether it was a legal or a moral obligation. I will be pursuing this matter further.

I could not vote to support this report as there was a dearth of information in the report. There was no report on the consequences of these cuts this is totally unacceptable. The Council just did not have enough information to make a proper decision tonight.