Welcome for Fire Safety Report


I welcome the publication of a study into community fire safety in Scotland, entitled Scotland Together. This report highlights that fire deaths in Scotland are still at double the rate they are for the UK as a whole. I'm a member of the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board. To read the views of the authors visit Strathclyde Fire and Rescue Service's website. To read the views of Tayside Fire and Rescue service firefighters click here.

I welcome this report and I will be studying it in detail. The report will be debated in the Scottish Parliament on 12th November and it will be interesting to hear the views of the parliament. I think that it is important that this report is given due consideration. I fully expect the report to be discussed in detail by Tayside Fire and Rescue Board in due course. The report is challenging and we need to give serious consideration to 'reduced ignition propensity cigarettes' and new regulations for sprinkler systems. We need to ensure that there is effective education and prevention schemes in place.

Last week I visited Tayside Fire and Rescue's Community Safety department and was very impressed with their work. We need to ensure that we are giving them all the support we can. I think if this report is studied and implemented we can make Scotland safer. It is important that the Scottish Government looks seriously at implementing this report. This is important for the safety of civilians and for the safety of the brave men and women of the fire and rescue service who work on our behalf to protect us.