Tayside Fire and Rescue Board


This morning I attended a meeting of the Tayside Fire and Rescue Board in Forfar. The main item which will attract attention is the issue regarding the future of Balmossie Fire Station and I will discuss that elsewhere.



I raised a number of issues, on the accounts I asked the auditors if they felt that the board played a sufficient role in the monitoring spending and ensuring that public money is safeguarded. I was informed that we did but I think that it was worthwhile that they reminded the board of our responsibilities.



I also spoke about the board's Single Equality Scheme and Action Plan 2009-2012. I asked 'Can I ask how we intend to monitor this important area of work both internally as it impacts on staff and externally as they impact upon the people of Tayside?' I was told that reports would be made to the board in due course and that training was available to all staff.



Tayside Fire and Rescue is developing a Shared Services Initiative where some services are shared between different fire and rescue services. Clearly greater efficiency in local government is something that we should all support. There is also a mood about for shared services right across Scotland. I think it is important we continue to have effective local democratic control of services. I welcome the report but I would say that I believe we should continue to stress the importance of local democratic control. If a decision is to be made to reduce the number of Fire and Rescue Boards in Scotland it should be made by the Scottish Government and approved by the Scottish Parliament. You can read a report on this in the Press and Journal.