Call for action over car parking at St Joseph's Primary



I have been approached a number of concerned parents and grandparents about the car parking situation at St Joseph's Primary School

I am calling for action over parking at St Joseph's Primary School. A number of concerned parents who are worried about parking on Bellfield Street at the beginning and the end of the school day have approached me, these parents are also concerned about the state of the alternative car park at Wilkie's Lane.

These parents have raised their concerns with me about road safety in the vicinity of St Joseph's. I am obviously aware of plans to replace St Joseph's but that is a few years away at least action is required now to protect the current pupils. I have contacted the Depute Chief Executive of the Council, Miss Patricia McIlquham who was responsible for a pilot scheme at Park Place Primary and at Eastern Primary. I want to know if there were any lessons learnt in the pilot and whether any of these could be applied to St Joseph's. I have also raised the issue with the Director of Education and asked what his department can do in this situation.

It is clear that the 'car park' at Wilkie's Lane is in a poor state of repair and that many people are unwilling to use it. I hope that the City Council can come up with some ideas which will improve road safety at St Joseph's.