City Council and Committee Meetings

Monday night saw meetings of the City Council and its committees, for the agenda please click here.

I raised a number of issues on the Leisure, Arts and Communities Committee.

The first item was investment in a new hammer cage at Caird Park. I welcome this investment it is important that the council takes its responsibilities to provide sports facilities seriously. I asked if the council has a sports facilities strategy? I was told that it did and that I would be given a copy of this. This is a very important area of policy, but it is often not given the importance it deserves. I believe that the council should continue to support sports facilities in Dundee.

The last item was about the development of a visitor centre at Camperdown Park. I said, 'I am delighted to see progress being made on this important issue. Camperdown Park is an excellent resource for the city and for visitors to the city. Over the summer I had the pleasure of taking visitors to Camperdown Park from France, Ireland, the USA and even from Lanarkshire and they were all impressed with the facilities that are there. This will improve the Park and be a particular improvement for the wildlife centre.'

'I welcome this report which implements a Labour manifesto commitment, all we need to do now is find an ongoing and sustainable use for all of Camperdown House.'