Bus Services in the West End

I recently met with representatives of Stagecoach Strathtay and highlighted my concerns about changes to bus services in the West End. Please find below a press release on the issue which is covered in this morning's Courier.



West End Bus Services

Richard McCready, Councillor for Dundee's West End, has met with representatives of Stagecoach Strathtay to raise his concerns about changes to bus services in the West End. Councillor McCready is unhappy that the service 72 has already been withdrawn and that the 74 service will also be withdrawn. He is particularly concerned that this will have an impact on the elderly and less mobile in the West End. Councillor McCready has written to the council asking for an update on progress towards implementing a demand responsive transport service for the elderly and disabled in the city.

Councillor Richard McCready said, 'I was very happy that representatives of Stagecoach Strathtay took the time to come and speak to me about the changes they have proposed. I raised my concerns that the changes proposed have a detrimental impact on the elderly and those with mobility problems in the West End. The number 72 service which has already been withdrawn and which served Magdalen Yard Road was popular with the elderly who struggle to walk up hill to the Perth Road to access the services available there. Likewise the service 74 serves an area where there are a number of elderly people, in the Logie estate for example, who would struggle to access the bus services available on Blackness Road. I made the point to the company that I think they would be respected in the community if they maintained some services which were not making a lot of money in order to provide a service for everyone in the city.'

'There was one piece of good news from our meeting in that from August there will be a bus service serving Ninewells Avenue. A number of constituents who live nearby have raised concerns with me that there were no services on Ninewells Avenue anymore. I welcome the decision of Stagecoach Strathtay to route a service on Ninewells Avenue from August.'

'My discussion with Stagecoach Strathtay and earlier discussions which I have had with National Express Dundee highlight to me the need for Dundee to have a Demand Responsive Transport service. Bus companies find it difficult to run profitable routes on every socially necessary route. They do not see the benefits they might gain from operating some services as a part social obligation rather than an obligation to make profit. Demand Responsive Transport would operate an accessible service which would allow people without easy access to transport to travel in the city. I know that work has been done towards this and I hope that more work will now take place. I have contacted the City Development department to reiterate my support for Demand Responsive Transport and to seek an update on progress.'