Clarify next stages in school process


West End Councillor Richard McCready today called for clarification on the next stages of the school building process in his West End ward and also in the Lochee ward. Councillor McCready was advised not to take part in last night's committee meeting on the West End proposals because he is a local resident with a child at a local school. Councillor McCready recognises that there are a mixture of views about the proposals.


Councillor Richard McCready said, 'I was disappointed not to be able to take part in the part of the Education Committee which dealt with the proposals for the West End. I took advice from officers of the council and the Standards Commission and the advice was that I should not take part. I hope that my constituents will understand why I was not able to take part in the Committee meeting.'


'Since the meeting I have been contacted by a number of constituents who are concerned that questions might not have been answered as fully as possible and that those making there views known through delegations did not get the opportunity to put forward all the issues they wished to. I have written to the Director of Education today asking the questions which I would have asked last night.''During the consultation process I have listened to local residents, officers of the council and church representatives and I have read all the consultation responses. It is fair to say that I broadly support the proposals for the West End; but I would have wished to seek some clarification from the Director of Education before voting.'


Notes Please find below the questions which Councillor McCready has asked the Director of Education.

1. Can you say that the site is large enough for the size of school envisaged and whether any dispensation will be required from the Scottish Government in order to build the new schools?2. Can you confirm that the sports facilities will be better than the those currently in place at Park Place and St Joseph's? What access will the schools have to outdoor sports and/or recreation facilities?

3. Can you outline the process now that the Committee has agreed to progress the proposal? Will there be further opportunities for members of the community to have an input at any of these stages?